The holidays are a wonderful time to see loved ones and take a break from your normal routine. With that excitement, however, comes messes that don’t get cleaned up quickly, extra baked goods and food, and overstuffed pantries. All these factors leave room for pests to sneak in and ruin your holiday fun. Here are some simple ways to keep pests from interfering with your holidays, and advice on when to call for pest removal in Rochester, NH:
- Use plastic containers liberally. Leftovers are half the fun of a holiday feast, but they can also be an unintentional invitation for pests to come into your home. Instead of letting food lie out or covering it loosely with foil in the fridge, opt for plastic containers with securely sealed lids. A little extra packaging can make for a lot less trouble later.
- Check expiration dates. This is something you should already be doing for your health, but it’s very important to check expiration dates in baking ingredients before using.
- Routinely clean your pantry. The holidays can be a busy time, but taking the time to thoroughly sift through your cupboards will help you keep pests out, and improve your chances of catching a small infestation before it grows into a big problem.
- Keep moisture sites clean. Whether it’s a leaky pipe, a clogged bathtub or a drip from the ceiling, moist areas should be dried frequently to lessen your risk of attracting pests. If possible, it’s best to have these problems looked at and permanently taken care of before they become serious.
- Inspect packages before buying. When buying food in cardboard packages, you should always check to make sure that the packaging has not been damaged in any way. Otherwise you might find a trail of bugs next to it when you go to use it.
- Dispose of garbage often. Garbage bags can quickly pile up during a Christmas dinner or New Year’s Eve party. But it’s always important to store them in metal or heavy-duty plastic containers, and to take your garbage out early and often. It may seem like an interruption to your festivities, but it’s not as inconvenient as a pest infestation would be.
- Seal cracks and holes. An important year-round tactic for keeping pests out of your home is to seal all cracks and holes, especially those around stovepipes and water pipes. This becomes even more important during the holidays, when usual kitchen cleanliness standards might become a bit lax.
- Spray the outside of your home. Routine spraying is one of the most effective ways to keep pests away. You could do this yourself, or contact your local pest control service for safe and expert work.
- Know when to call for help. Sometimes pest invasions are inevitable, and sometimes they happen even when you feel like you’ve been diligent about cleaning. If this problem strikes your home this holiday season, don’t hesitate to get professional assistance. For pest removal in Rochester, NH, you can count on Dependable Pest Solutions.
Preparations for the holidays are extensive enough without adding pest prevention and removal to your list, but if you follow these pieces of advice, you’ll hopefully be able to celebrate freely without too much extra work, and without the headache that comes with a pest invasion.