Commercial building owners and property managers have a lot to deal with when it comes to keeping the building under their care in top working order. In fact, it’s nearly impossible to keep up on everything that needs to be done without overlooking something or pushing the boundaries on a maintenance item that’s already overdue. And unfortunately, one of the chief things that’s often overlooked is the need for a pest control service in Rochester, NH.
Having your facilities inspected at the beginning of spring and fall seasons is important in ensuring that pests aren’t making a home in your building, where they’re bound to do an inordinate amount of damage over time, until the problem becomes too big to ignore.
In addition to having routine pest inspections, it’s also a good idea to think about taking care of a few peripheral things that might be attractive to pests. After all, the best way to deal with a pest problem is to make sure it’s not even given the chance to develop! Take a look at a few things you can do to make your commercial facilities less inviting to pests:
- Have any leaks or water issues with your facilities’ plumbing addressed quickly. Like any living creature, bugs and rodents need water to survive and they’re going to nest near a readily accessible source. If your facilities have plumbing issues that make for standing water or a recurring water source, it’s only a matter of time before bugs find it and invite themselves in.
- Make sure you have a trash disposal and cleanup plan in place to prevent buildups. There’s nothing more inviting to pests than filth—unemptied garbage, discarded scraps and more are all a ready source of food and nesting materials. Make sure your building has an appropriate number of trash cans to prevent buildups and when these bins are emptied, make sure it’s in an area that’s away from the facilities themselves.
- Hire a routine cleaning service that comes at least weekly to thoroughly sanitize your building. In fact, the more frequently you can clean, the better. This is the reason many office buildings have nightly janitorial cleaning services: to make buildings as unappealing to pests as possible!
- Secure all food. This is a major factor in places like schools and offices. It’s easy for someone to accidently leave food out and unprotected and when they do, it’s only a matter of time before pests start to arrive.
- Have the building’s façade inspected and repaired regularly. Overlooking a crack in the wall or chip in the glass means overlooking entrances for pests of all types. Make sure any damages to your building’s exterior are addressed quickly, to close any potential openings that might become areas of concern for an infestation.
The next time you have a pest control service in Rochester, NH out for a yearly inspection or services, ask them where you can improve when it comes to making your building as unhospitable for pests as possible. Doing your due diligence upfront to keep pests out will minimize issues if they do get in.