Sure, rodents can be cute in a pet store. If you’re like a lot of Americans, you might even have a gerbil, hamster or another type of small creature at home as a pet! But you don’t want uninvited rodents like mice in your home. Mice infestations are troublesome for a variety of reasons and typically end up necessitating rodent removal in Rochester, NH. Keep reading to find out why mice come inside during the winter, why you want them to leave and what can be done to stop them.
Why do mice come inside?
Mice don’t just show up in your home at random. They’re attracted to your living space for a number of understandable reasons:
- Food: Every outdoor animal has trouble finding food during the winter, especially when there’s snow on the ground. The number one reason mice come indoors is to feast on your free food! Dry goods like cereal and crackers stored in cupboards are an easy target for a clever mouse. Be sure to properly seal all of the food in your pantry to make it more difficult for mice to enjoy a tasty meal.
- Warmth: New Hampshire winters can be brutal for humans. Now, imagine how cold you’d be if you were the size of a mouse! Mice can have a particularly tough time in the winter months if they don’t find someplace warm to live. Fortunately for them—and unfortunately for us—our homes are the perfect place for them to cozy up until springtime. Don’t be surprised if you see families of mice trying to get inside your home or business this winter just to stay warm.
- Protection: In addition to staying warm, indoor mice are protected from all of their typical predators. Unless you have a dog or cat, they’re practically safe from every creature that wants to eat them! When mice are inside, their only true danger is getting caught by a mouse trap or pet—or running into one of the trained rodent removal specialists from Dependable Pest Solutions!
Why you don’t want mice
It goes without saying that you don’t want mice in your home. But do you know what mice are capable of doing once they’re in there? Here are some of the reasons why you don’t want to wait to get rid of them:
- They’re health hazards: Mice, like many outdoor animals, carry diseases that can be very harmful to your health. They can carry fleas and nasty bacteria on their fur, but their feces and urine is the real health concern. Mice droppings and urine can contain hundreds of different types of bacteria that can lead to a variety of illnesses. What’s worse is the fact that sweeping or vacuuming their droppings can release the bacteria into the air!
- They chew: If you know anything about rodents, you know that they like to chew on pretty much anything they can get their teeth on. They’ll gnaw on anything—wood, paper, fabric, drywall and even electrical wires. Chewing on things like wood is annoying, but chewing through wires can lead to electrical fires. Before you know it, your house could be up in flames because of a mouse infestation.
Stopping one or two mice from getting inside can be tricky. After all, it only takes a small crack in your foundation for a mouse to slip inside. That said, you can prevent a full-blown infestation by calling Dependable Pest Solutions for rodent removal in Rochester, NH as soon as you spot a mouse! Mice reproduce quickly, so be sure to call us the same day you see a mouse or notice chew marks or mouse droppings in your home.