Changing leaves and shorter days mark the end of summer and the official start of the fall season. For many, the change in seasons brings much-needed relief from the relentless attack of mosquitoes and ants that plague the summer months. These pests die out as soon as the temperatures drop. Unfortunately, the new season is accompanied by a new roster of pests. Many of these bugs will seek refuge from colder temperatures inside of your home. Bugs begin to prepare for the upcoming winter season by finding shelter in dark attics and forgotten corners. While they might not be as annoying as mosquitoes, their presence could still pose unique threats to your home and family.
Here are just some of the bugs you may encounter this fall season:
- Cockroaches: Cockroaches are one of the most feared pests. Unfortunately, they are also one of the most common. The cockroach isn’t the hardiest creature, though. The bug migrates indoors in search of warmth during the colder months because it can’t withstand freezing temperatures. Cockroaches often find a home near pipes and drains. Their presence can spread diseases and even exacerbate asthma symptoms.
- Rodents: Rats and mice all try to seek the comfort of indoor heating when the temperatures drop. They intrude into your home for warmth, shelter, food and water.
- Spiders: Spiders invade homes for the same reasons as cockroaches and rodents. Unlike the other two pests, the spiders use these down months for their breeding season. Their activity will increase as males begin the search for a mate. The females could lay eggs inside of your home shortly after. Oftentimes, the massive egg sacs go unnoticed unless they’re spotted during a pest inspection in Rochester, NH.
- Fleas: Fleas are actually pretty smart creatures. These tiny bugs hitchhike into your home on the fur of dogs and cats. The fleas could then bite the animal or even you. While these bites aren’t deadly, they can be extremely itchy and cause discomfort.
- Stinkbugs: The name really says it all with stinkbugs. These bugs are notorious for emitting a terrible odor whenever they feel threatened. Not only is this unpleasant, but their presence could pose a serious threat to your backyard garden or crops. Stinkbugs tend to be a repeat problem each year as they leave behind an invisible chemical trail designed to guide other bugs.
- Bed bugs: Bed bugs are year-round pests. Their numbers increase exponentially during the fall and winter seasons because of an uptick in travel over the holidays. Bed bugs can be carried from one infested bed to your clean home when guests visit for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
A pest inspection in Rochester, NH is a best way to put a stop to fall pests before they invade your home. A professional pest control specialist like Dependable Pest Solutions will be able to identify any problem areas before taking the necessary steps to keep your home bug-free throughout autumn and the rest of the year. Call us today to learn more about our comprehensive plans, all offered at competitive rates!