There’s nothing worse than having ants at your picnic, right? Wrong! Having those ants in your kitchen pantry is about as bad as it gets. Ants and other pests like mice in your kitchen eat your food and create unsanitary living conditions for you and your family.
Luckily, pest control in Rochester, NH isn’t as hard as it may seem. Here’s how you can keep pests far from your kitchen to ensure you live a happy, healthy and pest-free life.
- Properly store food: It’s easy to keep all of your open boxes of food out on the kitchen counter or loosely stored in the cabinets. However, that’s a grave mistake, since pests have no problem getting to them! Mice and other rodents can easily chew through those cardboard boxes, so we recommend keeping all of your dry goods in plastic containers. It’s one extra step that’ll keep a variety of pests away.
- Tidy up: Pests don’t often come into your home and head straight towards your kitchen. Instead, they’re initially attracted to your home because of crumbs and spilled liquids on the ground that make for a quick meal. Be sure to clean up anything that’s on your counters or floors to make your home less appealing to rodents and bugs.
- Use a bay leaf: Sometimes, the best pest control in Rochester, NH is also the easiest! Bay leaves, which you can find in the baking aisle at any grocery store, are known to ward off a variety of pests, including cockroaches and ants. Sprinkling a few leaves in your kitchen cabinets or even simply keeping an open container on the shelf can do wonders.
- Inspect groceries: It’s gross to think about, but pests can come into your home straight from the grocery store! There are many cases of infested items at the grocery store coming home in your shopping bag, so be sure to check out all of the food in your cart before buying it to ensure there aren’t any signs of insects or rodents.
- Check the date: Our packaged foods and ingredients have expiration dates for a reason! Before cooking or snacking on something, we recommend checking the date to ensure that the product isn’t past its prime. It’s also a good idea to go through your pantry every once in a while and toss things that are out of date.
- Seal cracks: Those pests have to get inside your home somehow. If they’re not walking in the front door, they’re probably sneaking in through cracks along your walls or around pipes. Sealing those cracks with caulk keeps pests out for good.
- Call a pro: Finally, just pick up the phone and call an exterminator! A professional can check your home to ensure that you don’t have a pest problem to begin with. Or, if you already have an infestation, an exterminator will eliminate the threat.
If all else fails and you still have pests in your pantry, be sure to call Dependable Pest Solutions! Whether your home is infested with mice, ants or something worse, you can count on us when it comes to pest control in Rochester, NH.