Signing the closing papers on a new house is one of the best feelings in the world. However, that feeling of elation can quickly turn into dread if you discover that your brand-new home has a termite infestation!
Termites can cause significant damage to the wooden infrastructure in your home and also wreak havoc on your furniture. Needless to say, you don’t want to find them anywhere on your property. Continue reading to learn a few of the top tips for pest removal in Rochester, NH and how to deal with those nasty termites.
Signs of a termite infestation
The only good thing about termites is that they don’t just appear all of a sudden and start destroying your home. There are a few signs that indicate you have a termite problem, which makes the infestation easier to find and treat.
Here are a few of those signs:
- Mud tubes: Much like humans taking the subway, termites travel in mud tubes to get back and forth from their nest to your home. These tubes are about as wide as a pencil and typically brown in color.
- Soft wood: The wood in your home will start to become softer and softer as termites chew and digest it. The wood will also eventually become hollow, since termites eat it from the inside out.
- Darkened wood: In addition to getting softer, wood often gets darker or starts to blister when it has a termite problem.
- Discarded wings: Did you know that some termites fly? It’s true, and it’s frightening! You may notice tiny discarded termite wings around your windows and doors that indicate termites have entered the home.
How to avoid termite issues
Don’t fall victim to termites! Follow the steps below, and your house is more likely to be pest-free.
- Have an inspection ASAP: If you didn’t have a termite inspection performed before you bought the house, an exterminator is the first person you should call after moving in. A professional inspection will tell you without a doubt whether or not you have a termite issue or any other type of pest problem.
- Move firewood: Keeping stacks of firewood next to your house is pretty convenient, especially on those cold winter days when you don’t want to walk too far outside. Unfortunately, termites are drawn to this firewood, which raises the chances of an infestation. We recommend moving your firewood at least 20 feet from your home and storing it on a platform at least five inches above the ground.
- Clean gutters: Cleaning your gutters out is a mandatory duty for all homeowners, but not just for the health of your roof! Termites are also attracted to moisture, particularly the pools of water that form in clogged gutters. Clearing your gutters and installing a gutter guard to prevent clogs is an easy way to mitigate the chances of an infestation.
If you’re in need of an exterminator, be sure to choose Dependable Pest Solutions! Our years of industry experience in pest removal in Rochester, NH and friendly service make us the number-one exterminator in the area.