If it’s cold outside, you want to be inside—and so do all those creepy crawlers. But you don’t want pests inside your house, as they’re known to carry diseases, bite and even trigger allergy symptoms in people. With this in mind, here are some ways to keep pests in Rochester, NH out of your home this winter.
Seal up your house
When the temperatures begin to drop, pests will come out to play. Pests like ants, rats, cockroaches and others are not fond of the cold and won’t let much stand in their way of finding food, water and shelter. The problem is that if pests are unable to find what they need outside, they’ll invade the inside of your house looking for these resources. Luckily, there are some things you can do to prevent this from being an issue:
- Close up exterior openings: Be sure to test your home for air leaks, and seal any you find. All exterior openings—such as cracks, gaps and holes—can be used by pests to get into your living spaces.
- Replace weather-stripping: Check the condition of the weather-stripping around your windows and doors. If there are big cracks, replace the seal to keep pests outdoors.
- Check along fixtures: Any spaces or cracks along kitchen and bathroom fixtures should be re-caulked. These areas are prone to collecting water, which pests need for survival.
Change habits that attract pests
Cold winter weather settling in is not the only reason pests invade homes. Unfortunately, some of your everyday habits may be inadvertently rolling out the welcome mat. Consider changing the following habits to help keep pests out of your home:
- Remove clutter: Rodents and bugs are huge fans of junk—especially piles of old newspapers, clothes, cardboard boxes and general trash. Pests see these types of materials as food, shelter and nesting space. Clearing the clutter from inside and outside makes your home less appealing to pests.
- Reevaluate recycling bins: Whether you keep recycling bins in the garage or on the side of the house, rinse food and beverage containers before tossing to avoid attracting ants and other pests.
Strengthen your defense against pests
It is not uncommon to miss a few areas when sealing your house against pests. To strengthen your defense against ants, spiders, rodents and more, take some additional preventative measures:
- Use long-lasting pesticides: Consider spraying a long-lasting indoor-outdoor product around the perimeter of your house and near exterior doors.
- Use safe indoor products: Choose a product labeled as being safe for sensitive areas, such as kitchen and bathroom sinks and backsplashes. Use a product with a fine-tipped applicator that is easily applied to tight spots.
- Keep the kitchen clean: The kitchen is where a lot of crumbs and spills appear, creating a buffet for pests. To keep insects and rodents away, sweep floors and wipe counters frequently, and make sure to store food properly.
Don’t let winter catch you off guard. Pest-proofing in Rochester, NH is a breeze when Dependable Pest Solutions is on your side. Call us today to schedule a pest control service appointment!