If you have pests in your home, it’s more than just an inconvenience—it can quickly turn into a serious health risk, and a danger to some of your home’s structural elements (depending on the kind of pest). Therefore, it’s important for you to constantly keep an eye out for some signs that could indicate you’re dealing with a pest problem.
Here are just a few examples of some of the biggest red flags that could be a sign you have pests invading your home:
- Droppings: People often see animal droppings in Rochester, NH before they see the pests themselves. You might find them inside kitchen cabinets, or on the floor in out-of-the-way areas. If the droppings look like little black rice grains, you’re probably dealing with mice. If they look like coffee grounds, it’s likely other rodents. Bedbugs have droppings that look like small specks, and you’ll find them on your bed. So, when you see droppings, you need to figure out what kind of pests you have, where they’re coming from and what you can do to get rid of them.
- Nests: It can be difficult to tell if you’ve found a nest, so here are some telltale signs. If it’s a rodent, there will likely be collections of fabric, threads, insulation or hairballs made into a bed. Cockroaches will usually stay in small, dark spaces where they can lay their eggs, so eggs are a clear sign of a nest and infestation.
- Sounds: Have you noticed strange rustling sounds coming from the walls or floorboards? Perhaps you’ve heard some screeching or squeaking? These are signs that you’re going to need to get in touch with a pest control service as soon as possible, because chances are, you’re not going to be able to take care of a pest problem yourself if the infestation is happening behind your home’s walls. Reach out as soon as possible—it’s important that you deal with the problem before it gets worse.
- Bite marks: If you start to notice nibbles on items in your pantry, garbage or any of your fabrics, this is probably going to be a sign of a rodent infestation. Rodents will come into your home in constant search of food, and it’s much easier to tell if they’ve been munching on things than it is when you’re dealing with insects. The exception is for termites—you’ll see clear signs of termites if you have extensive wood damage and what appears to be sawdust lying around certain areas.
- Structural damage: Piles of sawdust or holes in your walls mean you have pests that specialize in damaging the structural elements of your home. It could be termites, carpenter ants or something else, but whatever the case may be, you need to get the problem taken care of as soon as possible so you can avoid further structural damage to your home.
For more information about some of the biggest pest control red flags in Rochester, NH, we encourage you to contact the team at Dependable Pest Solutions today.