Rodents, spiders, cockroaches and other creepy-crawly critters are often what comes to mind when homeowners think about pests. Though controlling those pests is essential, you can’t forget about controlling stink bugs! Stink bug prevention in Rochester, NH is crucial for keeping a healthy and clean home. Continue reading to learn more about these bugs and what you can do to keep them away.
What is a stink bug?
Also known as kudzu bugs, stink bugs get their name from the nauseating smell they emit when they’re crushed. Stink bugs are trapezoidal in shape, and only about six millimeters long. You’ll typically find stink bugs indoors when the temperatures drop because they need a warm spot to hide out and escape the cold weather. The good news is that apart from their nasty smell, stink bugs don’t pose any real threat to humans or pets.
Preventing stink bugs
Although they’re harmless, you still don’t need a bunch of stink bugs running around your home. Here are our top pieces of advice for kudzu bug prevention in Rochester, NH:
- Call a pro: The best way to prevent a stink bug infestation is to hire a professional. An exterminator will spray a protective barrier at your property that will ward off stink bugs and a variety of other pests. Plus, if any stink bugs are found, you can rest easy knowing your pest control technician will eliminate them once and for all.
- Seal entry points: Instead of walking through the door, stink bugs typically get inside by slipping through cracks in your siding, holes in window screens, loose mortar or torn weather stripping. For proper stink bug prevention in Rochester, NH, spend some time sealing up all of those potential entry points. All it takes is a few hours of your time to keep your home stink bug free.
- Turn off the lights: Like a lot of bugs, stink bugs are attracted to lights. We advise keeping your outdoor lighting to a minimum and turning your outdoor lights off early in the evening. Additionally, it’s a good idea to draw your shades at nighttime to prevent indoor light from spilling outside. That might sound a little drastic, but it will prevent stink bugs from trying to come inside.
- Reduce moisture: Stink bugs are also drawn to moisture. Leaky pipes and dripping faucets are like magnets for these little pests. Make your home less attractive to them by calling a plumber to fix any leaks on your property.
- Properly landscape: A well-landscaped yard looks nice and makes your property less attractive to stink bugs. Trim those branches and shrubs, and keep the grass short. Be sure to also store any firewood at least 20 feet away from your house.
- Eliminate food sources: Finally, deter stink bugs by getting rid of any easily accessible food sources. Store your pantry items in airtight containers and take the trash out frequently. You’ll also want to wipe down any surfaces to get rid of crumbs.
Get a jump on kudzu bug prevention in Rochester, NH by calling the professionals at Dependable Pest Solutions! We’re experts at preventing and eliminating all different types of pests and critters.