Pests can be a problem at homes and businesses all year long. However, we often see an uptick in certain types of infestations during the fall and winter months. This is because food and water sources run out, and critters need a place to escape the colder temperatures. Unfortunately, ensuring their own comfort and survival often involves taking over your home or office.
The good news is that our team at Dependable Pest Solutions is here to help! We have decades of industry experience dealing with infestations—continue reading to learn a few helpful fall and winter pest prevention tips in Rochester, NH.
Since fall weather is right around the corner, let’s start with fall pest prevention. These are the types of critters we typically deal with in the autumn:
- Stink bugs: Although they’re harmless, having a stink bug infestation is no good. Stink bugs creep inside through cracks and holes in your home. To prevent them, use silicone sealant to seal them up. This simple measure will help deter them from trying to get inside in search of food and water.
- Wasps: Cooler temperatures help kill many wasps, but you can bet that there will still be some hardy survivors that are able to hold on throughout the fall and winter. Fall pest prevention in Rochester, NH should include walking around your property to check for wasp nests. If you spot a nest or see wasps near your home, call an exterminator to get rid of them. Wasps are very aggressive and their stings are painful, so let the pros handle them.
- Spiders: Unlike some pests that come inside to escape the cold in autumn, spiders are probably already in your home, but you just don’t see them very often because they tend to hide. In the fall, however, mature male spiders come out of hiding in search of a mate. Deter more spiders from setting up shop in your home by tidying up and spraying peppermint and rosemary essential oils.
When the temperatures really get cold, infestations go through the roof. These are our best winter pest prevention tips in Rochester, NH:
- Cockroaches: A cockroach infestation isn’t just nasty—it can also be harmful to your health. Our advice is to call an exterminator as soon as you spot a cockroach, because there are likely dozens more hiding out around your property. To prevent an infestation, clean up after yourself and vacuum the floors to eliminate any crumbs.
- Rats and mice: Rodents in need of shelter and food will stop at nothing to get inside your home—and once they’ve made it in, getting rid of them can be very tricky. Rats and mice can slip inside through the tiniest openings in your home, so be sure to fix any gaps with sealant.
- Larger mammals: Raccoons and opossums can also be a hassle to deal with in the winter when food sources become scarce. They may not try to get inside your home, but these larger critters will make a mess outside by rummaging through your trash. Deter them from coming around by keeping your trash containers tightly sealed.
Autumn will be here before we know it, so call our team today to schedule fall pest prevention in Rochester, NH. At Dependable Pest Solutions, we use EPA-registered products to keep your home free of all sorts of different insects and rodents.